Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

Grace VanderWaal: Perfectly Imperfect

Hello everyone,
it's been a while since my last music review and I am so excited to be sharing this post. Before I jump into the review of Grace VanderWaal's EP, Perfectly Imperfect, I thought I would give a little summary of Grace, for those of you who don't know her.

Earlier this year, America's Got Talent was on TV. Now I live in England so it isn't that big of a deal for me. But, I practically live on YouTube and I saw a recommended video, which was Grace's audition. I didn't really know what to expect. All I could see in the thumbnail was a young girl with a ukulele. Grace, who is only 12, auditioned with an original song, 'I Don't Know My Name', and completely blew the judges, the audience and myself away. Her voice is hypnotic, the kind of rusty, raw voice I would love to have if I could sing. She was immediately granted the 'golden buzzer' which confirmed her a place in the finale of the series. Week after week she would perform original songs, about her relationship with her sister, herself and her school life, and it was only fitting that she became the winner.
Something I was immediately drawn to about Grace was her personality. As a twelve year old I honestly found life so difficult, and I cannot imagine how hard it is now, with the rise of social media and the pressures on body image. She just seems very down to earth and unpolished, in the sense she just wants to be herself, and do the things that make her happy. This is the audition which introduced Grace to the world- 

 
On December 2nd, Grace released her first EP, Perfectly Imperfect, and I haven't stopped listening to it. I thought it would be nice for me to give a little summary of the five songs, so here goes:
  1. I Don't Know My Name: The opening track is the song that first catapulted her name into the heads of thousands of people. It is, as many people will say, like Taylor Swift meets Halsey. Which is quite a compliment to someone so young. There's something quite ironic about the title of this track and the fact that so many people in the world now know her name. It introduces the notion of coming of age, which seems to be the recurring theme in her songs. Her voice is just as pure and striking in the studio version as it is on stage, and that is something that makes Grace so exciting in terms of her future as a performer.
  2. Clay: I absolutely love how the lyrics refer to not moulding yourself to someone's standards, and being proud of the person you are. I think when people think of Grace and her age they may think her songs couldn't touch their souls, but anyone can find comfort in this song and feel it in their souls. It is much softer in sound compared to the opening track, with pianos overtaking her usual ukulele accomplice.
  3. Light the Sky: There is so much romance about this song, honestly, I don't want to get married but if it happens, I am reserving this song for my wedding. It is so upbeat and I could see it being played in the first kiss scene of a young adult rom-com. With lyrics like 'Cause the stars are dull when they're compared to you and I, and if people don't like it then they can close their eyes. Cause we're not the same and we don't have to try, we're brighter than fireflies, we're gonna light the sky,' how could you not fall in love with this song?
  4. Beautiful Thing: I have loved this song since Grace performed it for her sister during the shows. It begins so delicately and builds into something so intense, which shows off how powerful Grace's vocals are. What I love about the lyrics is how they could be interpreted so differently to so many people. Be it about a friendship, sibling, lover. It is so universal and stunning.
  5. Gossip Girl: This song has a nostalgic feeling to it. I can personally relate to thinking someone is your friend, only to discover they're the one talking bleep about you to others. I don't know what it is, but something about this song reminds me of Pink meets Sia and that is definitely not a bad thing. I love how the song begins and ends with little whispering sounds, adding another depth to it.
Overall, the EP is dripping with poetry. It is sophisticated and displays so well how Grace will be a voice that continues to grow over the years. I am incredibly excited to see what the future hold fo her and her career. Listening to Grace sing, you could compare her to so many artists. A potion of Halsey, Taylor, Sia, Alanis, but overall she is shaping her own style. Simply Grace, a name you're not going to be forgetting anytime soon.
If you want to listen to Perfectly Imperfect you can do so here.
Until next time, take care,
love, Aimee :) xx

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post