Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

12 Days of Blogmas: My Sound of 2016

'On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a music favourites of 2016'
Hello everyone,
if you have been reading my blog for a while, you may recall that I wrote something like this last year. Music is just a constant favourite in my life, and I assume, all of yours too. I wanted to share my favourite songs, albums and shows that I've been to in 2016, without further ado, let's go!

Top 5 Albums



Death of a Bachelor- Panic! at the Disco
2016 and I am still madly in love with Brendon Urie. I guess it's true that emo never dies! I'm actually amazed that this album came out in January, because it feels like a record that I have been playing forever. It is so dramatic and over the top and that is something I can't get enough of. Brendon's vocal range teamed with snazzy songs like Crazy=Genius, makes Death of a Bachelor depart so far from the likes of I Write Sins Not Tragedies! From lyrics like 'I lost a bet to a guy in a chiffon skirt, but I make these high heels work' to the note in Hallelujah (YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT) Death of  Bachelor portrays Brendon as the leading man he was born to be, and I want him to backflip all the way to my house and perform this album in its entirety, for me.



Illuminate- Shawn Mendes
For some reason, the Shawn Mendes button in my life exploded in 2016 and I couldn't get enough of Canada's greatest export! I went from him being my guilty pleasure to full on Shawn Mendes fangirl, and I'm not even mad.  Illuminate is definitely more grown up compared to Handwritten (let me direct you to Lights On and my frantic YOU SHOULDN'T BE SINGING ABOUT THIS YOU ARE SO SMOL reaction)! From the intro to Mercy, to the ballad of all ballads Like This, there is such a raw and almost very emo undertone to the album. I am so excited for what 2017 brings for Shawn.



California- Blink 182
2016 saw the return of one of pop-punk's greatest gifts, Blink 182. California, their first record in five years, and the first with newest recruit Matt Skiba, is as punchy as you'd expect. Skiba's vocals are by far on a different par from Tom Delonge's but it is refreshing and the mixture of his and Mark Hoppus' are a well made match. Given that Blink are a lot older than when they first began, the typical 'let's run away from this crappy place we come from' you'd expect from pop punk is still there, along with the emo moments, such as in 'Home is such as Lonely Place.' Blink are touring in 2017 and my lifelong dream of seeing them has come true, and I am beyond excited to hear California come to life.



DNCE- DNCE
In last year's 'Sound of 2015' post I mentioned my adoration for DNCE. This year they released their debut, self titled, album, and honestly it is one of the best things that happened this year. The band is made up of bold personalities and I think this marries into the music. The sounds they produce are just so cool but with an ease to them, as if they don't seem to be trying hard to deliver great sounding songs. Lyrically they provide flirty, tongue in cheek anthems that I just cannot get enough of. Like I said in 2015, anything with Joe Jonas attached gets a yes from me, and this album is evidence as to why.



Telluric- Matt Corby
I have waited approximately one thousand years for former Australian Idol contestant, Matt Corby, to release his debut album. In 2016, that dream came true as he released an album just as dreamy and magical as I had anticipated. Good to be Alone is such a nod to how much I think he compares to another music love of mine, Jeff Buckley. I love the mixture of sounds on the album, from harmonies, to the Ed Sheeran style thing I don't know the name of, where the songs almost sound like they have layers to them (insert Shrek quote). I have such fondness for Matt, and I am delighted that his debut album finally exists and has delivered.

Top 5 Singles



Heathens- twentyonepilots
Everyone here knows how much I love this band, and they provided such a fascinating song for the Suicide Squad soundtrack. What I love most about it is that most artists featured in the film did eccentric covers of existing songs, but you know Tyler and how original he likes to be, and this song fits so well into the film, as well as sounding like a twenty one pilots song.



Don't Threaten Me with a Good Time- Panic! at the Disco
As Death of a Bachelor was one of my top albums of this year, it is only fitting that one of the songs would make this list. I've had lyrics for this stuck in my head on a loop for most of this year. It's just such a ridiculous song, in the best way. The definition of a jam.



Without Him- Christina Grimmie
2016 saw a lot of tragedies, and one that hurt me the most was the death of Christina. She had so much to live for. Her EP, Side A, which this song features on, is a token of the wonderful musician she was destined to become. I love the ballad style of this song, the way it speeds up in the second verse and also how it shows the beautiful range in Christina's voice. It is stunning and haunting at the same time.



Follow You- Bring Me the Horizon
Lyrically this is such a lovely, alternative love song (even if Oli and Hannah's love no longer exists). I like the delicateness of the verses, compared to the brash, intensity of the chorus. I don't really have much else to say (I am great at selling songs).



We Don't Talk Anymore- Charlie Puth ft. Selena Gomez
This is super chilled out and I absolutely love the video for it. The match of Charlie's voice with Selena's goes so well and I just like to have a little bop to this song. Even though it has considerably sad lyrics, it doesn't make me feel emo, which ya know, I like.



Top 5 Concerts



Twenty One Pilots @ Alexandra Palace
I wrote an entire post about how much I loved this gig with all the bones in my body, but in short, the lighting, backdrops, costume changes, interludes, backflips and performances blew me away. Look up all the synonyms for overwhelming and breath-taking, and that is entirely how it felt.



Shawn Mendes @ Hammersmith
This is the night I knew Shawn Mendes had put some kind of spell on me. I was very chilled about the prospect of going, and even up until he came on I was like 'this should be interesting' but the MINUTE he walked on stage I lost every part of my control. I screamed, sang, and shouted some very inappropriate things, but nonetheless, it was such a fun show.



Melanie Martinez @ some club I cannot recall but potentially Angel
This was a very weird show. I mean that was expected given Melanie performs as Cry Baby, and sings songs about plastic surgery and poisoning someone with cookies. But the atmosphere wasn't what I expected. The crowd was mixed between teens, parents and parent aged people without teens. Also, I love Melanie and her music and I am aware her songs aren't headbangers but the crowd were very still. I did enjoy the experience and I hope to see her again next year.



5 Seconds of Summer @ somewhere in Lille
Honestly, this is my favourite 5SOS show ever. I did so much travelling this year with people I love, seeing this band. We went to Cardiff and Brighton and Manchester and London and honestly if the list were long enough I would write about them all. But this was my first time going abroad to see a band and it was just so lovely. I loved seeing how much fans in another country appreciated the music and I got a mini holiday too.



The Maine @ O2 Academy Manchester
Real talk, I was extremely drunk at this show and I recall about 2% of it but I know that it was incredible. The Maine are my favourite band and I haven't seen them in YEARS. In January I was lucky enough to see them twice. They were only the opening act and I travelled alone to BHAM to see their set and then leave. They never fail to make me smile, cry and just feel so thankful to be alive. I hope I remember more of their next show.


I made a playlist of all the jams and bops of 2016 that I've loved, which you can listen to here: https://open.spotify.com/user/113454506/playlist/7v2B5DvAkGWPhypWyyNy0f
See you in my next post,
Love, Aimee :) xx

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post