Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

I Went to a Circuit Training Class

Hello everyone,

It's February, wtf? By now I'm guessing 79% of the world's population has given up on their resolutions for 2015, and I'm betting more than half of those were 'GET FIT FOR SUMMER' related.

I don't really buy into New Years Resolutions, mainly because I'm indecisive and cynical and aware that I will more than likely fall through the cracks of any resolution I make, regardless of how big or small it is.

Having said this, for a few years now I've wanted to make some healthier improvements in my life. In the past I've gone through stages of hating my body, followed by binge eating, followed by regret and more comfort eating. I think going to university has made me a little healthier as I'm walking a lot more, and starting to feel comfortable sliding into a pair of jeans in the morning, which in high school I would never have even tried on.

What I've always wanted to try is exercising with a friend. I always thought it would make the whole exercising thing more enjoyable because I would have a distraction from the tasks set out for me, as well as having a support network of being supported and being a supporter for someone else.
My friend Emmy has been raving about a circuit training class she regularly attends and given that the gym isn't too far from where I live I thought it would be a good idea to try it out with her.

So, on Monday off I went, wearing the first pair of trainers I've worn in about 4 years and with a pair of leggings I'd ripped five minutes before leaving the house. The workouts take place in a leisure centre I spent a lot of my childhood swimming with my Mum and brother in, and when I first walked in my body was more inclined to take a ride on the dragon water slide than complete an intense workout.

Emmy arrived and we walked to the hall. I mean it when I say I was full of fear when I saw the sports hall, which closely replicated my high school gym! I saw a few mats placed on the floor and some benches and I had an idea in my head of the exercises I'd be putting my body through. What I hadn't anticipated was the LAPS I WOULD BE TOLD TO RUN when entering. I'm not very good at maths but I can tell you one calculation that doesn't work out is my body + running. I think I ran about five laps before taking a water break and I'm honestly proud that I didn't just start crying like I would have at school when told to run.



Then came the circuits. The first circuit had a pace quicker than I'd expected but nonetheless I gave my all to keep up with the group. I really enjoyed burpees, bench presses and knee twists, but my arch enemy the plank was ready and waiting to mock me.

The first few circuits were intense and I really did think I was going to puke. But I didn't and that makes me happy. I didn't throw up or give up, I simply went at my own pace and enjoyed it. After a few circuits I was a little sneaky and went to the stations I liked the most, but I was still exercising, just in a way I had fun doing.

The best part of the workout is that I was with Emmy. She asked if I was okay several times and said motivational phrases like 'WE GOT THIS' and 'JUST ONE MORE LAP' and I did the same for her.When the workout ended I felt like I'd accomplished something I've always wanted to do.

Whilst my legs are aching two days after the work out, the pain is worth it. I probably won't attend every week simply due to other commitments but I definitely want to go to one class a month, whilst also exercising at home.I guess this is me saying I'm ready to take on the challenge of a healthier lifestyle!

If you're thinking of trying out a circuit class I would highly recommend it.
Thanks for reading,
Aimee :) x

2 comments

  1. I tried to comment... not sure that it worked haha. BUT I JUST READ THIS AND YOU'RE SO CUTE. you did so good toooo! proud of you!! <333 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just saw this comment!! Thank you for motivating me and for driving in the SNOw!!!

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts on this post