Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

Playlist Party: Top 25 Most Played

Hello Everyone,
So today I had a little epiphany whilst listening to Bastille, on my bus home from uni, that I would write a weekly playlist. I'm calling it Playlist Party, as oppose to Playlist Thursdays etc, as I'm 97% certain that I will never be able to stick to a day of the week.
I thought it might be a cool way of introducing you to the music I enjoy listening to. I think it's a great way to learn about people. If someone gives you access to their musical library I feel like they're letting you in on their life, their secrets and their memories, and I thought this little weekly segment (fingers crossed I will stick to it) might also introduce you to new music and sounds.
As an introduction I thought I would write about the top 25 most played songs on my iPod. The list has changed a lot over the years and I was actually surprised today, by some of the songs that popped up.
So without further ado, here it goes:

1. My Boy Builds Coffins by Florence and the Machine- Of all the songs that have come and gone over the years on this list, I've noticed that this song has always remained at the top. I fell in love with this song when I first purchased the album Lungs. I love the lyrics, they're incredibly poetic with a sinister tint and it's a song I never tire of listening to.


2.Out of My Limit by 5SOS- This is one of the songs that I was surprised to see on the list. I am a self confessed huge fan of this band and this song, but I don't think I realised I had listened to it enough for it to be second on the list. I think its position shows that it's pretty much impossible for me to tire of hearing this song, even when it's 38738739x more amazing live.

3.Kiss With a Fist by Florence and the Machine- Yes another Florence tune! One thing I absolutely love about this song is how up-tempo it is. It has an incredibly angry sound to it which is probably why it's so high up given that it's on my walk to university playlist. It's loud, feisty and incredibly cool.

4.Chocolate by The 1975- This is probably a typical white girl song to be featured and you're probably not surprised. However, I was when I saw the song. It's not that I don't like the song, quite the opposite actually, it's just I feel I listen to other songs by The 1975 a lot more than this one. I think the problem is that when I first downloaded it I listened to it on repeat to and from university which is a shit ton of times. I probably don't need to convince you about this song. You either love it or you hate it, I guess Matty Healy is like Marmite!

5.The Wolves by Ben Howard- I LOVE BEN HOWARD. I worship his sound and lyrics and ability to capture a massive crowd with his guitar. Ben is on a lot of my positive playlists. His music makes me sad, happy, angry, nostalgic and most importantly it makes me feel alive. It makes me realise why I love music so much. WHAT A TUNE!

6.Skinny Love by Bon Iver- Continuing from this emo acoustic singer song writer love I behold, this song is great for making you CRY. I was horrified when Birdy released her cover of this and I am even more horrified by the people who seem to think it's her song. Bon Iver holds a SPECIAL place in my heart, and this song is just one of those.

7.Tears Dry On Their Own by Amy Winehouse- I'm incredibly sad to write about this song and musician because the horrible realisation that she wont release any new music for as long as I live comes back to haunt me. This song is one of my favourite songs ever, it's anthemic. Here's to you Amy, wherever you are.

8.Tesselate by Alt-J- Do you have a band where you forget how much you love them until you hear one of their songs and the fire of that love reignites? because that is me with Alt-J. They are so unique. I won't ever forget hearing Matilda, which features later in this list, for the first time on BBC Radio 1 and knowing that they'd become one of my favourite bands. CHECK IT OUT!

9.Toothpaste Kisses by The Maccabees- Perhaps the cutest song in the world and definitely a song that has always stuck around on this playlist. All I want is to hear Orlando sing this to me live and give me a 'wit woo' ok.

10.Atlas Hands by Benjamin Francis Leftwich- Yet another song I have Radio One to thank for. I'm pretty sure I heard this song around the time I first came across Ben Howard and I couldn't get enough of it (according to this playlist, I still can't get enough of it.) For some reason the lyric, 'My God is a good God who cares' has always stuck in my memory and I often create a movie in my head whenever I listen to it.

11. No Angels by Bastille ft Ella Eyre- I LOVE BASTILLE, I LOVE TLC and I LOVE COVER SONGS, so when I came across a video of this on Tumblr last year I saw the light of heaven infront of me. I love Dan Smith's voice so much you won't ever understand but this song pumps me up so much! I know a lot of people tend to oppose this cover because No Scrubs is meant to be an empowering girl anthem but my GOD it's such a great cover. My favourite part is that it samples Norman Bates from Psycho which increases my love for it by 1000000%

12.Matilda by Alt-J- As previously mentioned this song is on the list as a result of my undying love for Alt-J. I love the name of the song, and the desperate tone of the lyrics. Nothing I can say will do the song justice so please, just press play!

13.Girl With One Eye by Florence and the Machine- Yes FLORENCE AGAIN! This is one of my favourite songs of all time even if it reflect my inner serial killer. It's dark and twisted but it's so acceptable because it's SO FLORENCE!

14.Forever and Ever Amen by The Drums- I fell in love with this band when I was 14. I had a blog dedicated to them, met them, was offered tea by them and declared my love to them. They make dreamy, nostalgic music that makes me cry, miss people and want to have the best future filled with love and positivity as possible. Unfortunately my passion for this band has drifted because inevitably their musical style changed, but I will always love their first album more than life itself.

15.Post Break Up Sex by The Vaccines- I LOVE THE VACCINES. It's not normal how much I think about them and their music. This song I love because I used to play it whenever I wanted to annoy my parents but also because it's as melancholy as I often am. Trust me, their music isn't all tear jerkers though!

16.Reptilia by The Strokes- They're one of my favourite bands so it doesn't surprise me that they feature on this list. This song is full of energy. It's loud and like a pair of high heels that stomp through a corridor IT DEMANDS TO BE HEARD, so what are you waiting for?

17. Colour by The Maine- They're my favourite band and most of their music is on my older iPod but of course even with their limited songs on this one, they managed to secure a place on my top played songs. This song makes me feel alive and breathes positivity. I can't stop, won't stop loving this song or this band!

18.What is a Youth by Jake Bugg- One day I will dedicate a post to Jake because I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. What I love about this song is when he covered it I almost fell off my bed and into death. I knew I had heard it before and was so shocked when it was confirmed it came from the 60's version of Romeo and Juliet. I love that film so much and to hear Jake sing a song from it made me want to put a dagger through my chest, in the tragically romantic way Juliet does. I hope that sold the song to you!

19.Joanna by Little Comets- I'm pretty sure this was on a playlist NME made way back when and I fell in love with it. I feel like I have a theme with songs with names of people being in this list but it's just a great song with such an uplifting vibe. definitely for fans of Peace!

20.Clairvoyant by The Story So Far- I love this song a hell of a lot, but I was surprised to see it on the list, given that I've only recently gotten into their music. I guess that says a lot about my love for the song though. It's incredibly raw, and the lyric 'don't paint me black when I used to be golden' is one of the most haunting I've heard in a very long time.

21.If You Don't Know by 5SOS- This is perhaps my favourite song by 5SOS so I'm very happy that I've played it enough for it to reach this position in playlist history! It's definitely, I would say, one of their best songs in terms of sounding EMO and 2008! I hope they start playing it live on tour!

22.Diane Young by Vampire Weekend- I was so excited when Modern Vampires of the City was released and totally was not let down by the songs that came with it. This along with the next song on the playlist are my favourite songs by Vampire Weekend who have come and gone on the playlist over the years. I'm still waiting to see them live (heartbreak emoji visualised here!)

23. Hannah Hunt by Vampire Weekend- Have you ever been in love with a song? Wanted to marry it, or have it played at your wedding and birth of your child? That's how I first felt about this song when I first played it. I remember reading someone on Tumblr say, ' I want someone to feel about me the way the end of Hannah Hunt sounds' and I relate to this on a spiritual level.

24.Ho Hey by The Lumineers- When I went to New York I fell in love with this band. Their songs played in every coffee shop and store I went into. Their music holds some great memories in my heart that I never want to let go of, and when I listen to their album all these memories come back to life. It's incredible what music can do for you.

and finally

25.Shake Me Down by Cage The Elephant- This is number one on my angry playlist. The sounds are overpowering, the singing verges on shouting, and then there's a moment where everything stops and the sound picks itself up again. It's a song everyone should experience at least once in their lives because it's too good and mixed with emotions to be missing out on!

And there it is, my top 25 most played songs. I hope you enjoyed this playlist and check out some of the songs for yourself, it would be fantastic to hear what you think of them, either good or negative!
Thanks for reading,
Aimee :) x

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post