Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

2017 Top Trumps


As we move into 2018, with resolutions and wishes for what we hope to happen this year, I thought I would take the time to highlight some of my top things from 2017.

I think it was a mixed bag of a year. I had some incredible highs and a number of lows and I think the same can be said on a more global note. But this post is designed to celebrate some of the positives to come out of 2017, so let's get into it.

* The order of things listed is not ascending unless stated.

Top 4 Films of 2017

Get Out- I had been wanting to see this film upon its release. From Twitter, to newspapers and magazines; this film seemed to be the most talked about of the year. I decided to watch it for the first time on my long haul flight to Orlando, and honestly, it's not something I planned on hyping me up for Disney. The film is genius, in every sense of the word. It is gripping, compelling, dark and disturbing. There's a high feeling of wanting to look away from the screen, but no matter how hard you try, you can't stop yourself from watching. When you think you've figured out the narrative, another curve is thrown in to bend apart what you know so far and what you thought would be next. Not only is this my film of the year, it is one of the best films in modern times.

Spiderman: Homecoming- I am somewhat of a nerd for Marvel. It is hard for me to decide upon my fave out of Spidey and Cap, but it is safe to say that when Spiderman: Homecoming came onto the scene, I KNEW I had to see it. Now, I have to confess that upon Tom Holland's casting announcement, I wasn't sure. This was mainly because I had never heard of him so just had no way to imagine him as Peter Parker. However, I can safely say that his casting is PERFECT. He truly captures the age of Peter, the stupidity of Spiderman coming to be Spiderman and his American accent is convincing. I am beyond excited to see Tom continue his role as Spiderman in upcoming releases, particularly in Infinity War (which I'm already deciding will be 2018's film of the year).

Kong: Skull Island- This is another film which helped me through my most long haul flight to date. I had no intentions of ever seeing this film. But, with a heck ton of time to spare above some random ocean, I had the time to watch it, and actually found it to be a gripping watch. Now and then I enjoy a fast paced action movie which involves some kind of genetically enhanced animal (e.g Jurassic World) and so this really hit the nail on the head for that brief. I also am quite a fan of Brie Larson, so, that was an additional bonus.

IT- Now, given that I have a very big hatred and fear of clowns, it is surprising for this film, which is literally about a clown that kills children every 27 years, to be one of my favourite films of 2017. I think what the selling points were for me were a) Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise, b) the kids who are all superb in their roles as the Losers Club members, c) the fact that Steven King is just a genius story teller and d) the amount of hilarious moments that occur (shoutout to Gazebos and Pennywise's dance). I loved this film so much that me and my pal, Natalie, went and got matching Losers Club tattoos.


Top 4 Songs of 2017

In Bloom (Neck Deep) As you will see further down, Neck Deep had a pretty big part of my heart in 2017. I could truly have picked any song from The Peace and the Panic to be in this list, but it was In Bloom that initially gripped me. I love the music video. I love the pace of the song and how the rhythm gradually increases. I love the lyrics. Just overall, this song was the start of something wonderful in terms of me and my fondness for Neck Deep.

Taxi (The Maine) If you know me in real life then you'll know that these Arizona emo kings rule my heart. In 2017, my favourite group of musicians and humans released their sixth album, Lovely Little Lonely. Given how much of a sucker I am for their work, any song from LLL would have deservedly made this list. Taxi holds a special place in my realm of emotions because I just feel a deep rooted connection with it. For so long, The Maine (and I suppose music in general) have been the release from my loneliness, and I felt like this song was meant for me to hear. I won't ever give up on this band, especially when they continue to release tunes like this.

Blonde (Waterparks) Waterparks are a band I fell for in 2017. They are fun and you can bop to their songs, but deep down, their lyrics have emo tinges. So in all honesty, their a band I was meant to love. Blonde comes from their forthcoming album Entertainment and if this is anything to go by, the album will be a hit! I love the speed at which Blonde spills from my headphones into my ears. I love the contrast between the rhythm which makes me want to jump up and down and the lyrics that have a very relatable sadness to them. Most of all, I love the lil shouty part towards the end of the song. I'm super pumped to see what's in store for Parx in 2018.

Told You So (Paramore) I have been a fan of Paramore for years. When they came out with an album in 2017, my heart jumped, skipped and flipped outside of my chest. I love the album (as you will see in a second) but Told You So has such a cool vibe to it. If you had told me a few years ago that Paramore would be putting out such a bop of this style, I wouldn't have believed you. But my gosh, I am so very glad they did!


Top 4 Albums of 2017

After Laughter (Paramore) Oh look, it's that spoiler I just revealed! Paramore can do no wrong in their career. It is something I've always loved about them. Even though they change their sound every now and then, they always consistently bring out the biggest of bops. After Laughter is decorated with anthems. I love the 80's, John Hughes vibe to this album. It is nostalgic, relatable and makes me feel all the wonderful things music does for so many. The style which Paramore went for physically also compliments the album so well, such as in their music videos!

The Peace and the Panic (Neck Deep) As previously mentioned, Neck Deep had a pretty decent year in terms of releasing songs my ears enjoyed. The Peace and the Panic highlights the angst and, I suppose, anxieties of modern times. From the corruption of governments, to heartache and grief, this album picks up on personal themes and translates them into very universal bops! My personal favourites off the album are Happy Judgement Day, Don't Wait, Where Do We Go When We Go and 19 Seventy Sumthin'.

Lovely Little Lonely (The Maine) Ok so, I didn't have the best year with The Maine in 2017. I missed literally every UK show they did apart from one Slam Dunk set. But, they made up for that by releasing an album which proved exactly why I've loved and supported them for all these years. It feels simultaneously so much like their catalogue of work and yet a massive growth in what they are capable of. The album haunts me. It is filled with the types of songs I needed to hear when I was 14 but will also need to hear when I'm 30. I will never be able to accept how well The Maine evolve. Just when I think they've reached the highest height they could climb, they release an album as pure and special as this. Whilst the album completes me in its entirety, my personal favourites are Taxi, I Only Wanna Talk to You and Do You Remember?

Melodrama (Lorde) Lorde is the woman I want to be. Ever since Pure Heroine came out in 2013, I've been attracted to her sound and style. She writes with elegance and honesty, in a way I wish I could but no I never will. Her essence of youth and what it is to grow up, fall in love and have your heart broken takes me to places music hasn't in the past. Lorde is pure and I am so glad 2017 saw her return. I personally enjoy crying to Liability and drunk mum dancing to Perfect Places.


Top 4 Beauty Products of 2017

Too Faced 'Gingerbread' Melted Matte Lipstick- Liquid lipsticks are my favourite beauty product, however, they are often quite a love hate relationship when my lips get all crusty and dry. But, Too Faced have the best formula of liquid lipstick in their Melted Matte range. Furthermore, they release annual products during the festive season and in 2017, they opted for a terracotta treat of all treats, with their gingerbread men themed lippie! It is a colour I have dreamed of owning, with a formula that's comfortable and durable.

Boots Simply Sensitive Moisturiser- My skin (like me) is incredible sensitive. Just the smallest change to my routine can see me come out in rashes or redness. I really wanted to start a skin care routine in 2017 and this moisturiser helped me to achieve that. Boots have lots of products in this range, including makeup wipes and eye creams. However, this product has become a part of my daily routine. Firstly, it is super affordable which means I don't have an issue getting through it quickly, and secondly, I think it makes me skin feel super soft and radiant, which is all one can ask for from a moisturiser.

Soph x Makeup Revolution Eye Palette- Makeup Revolution are one of my favourite brands and Soph Does Nails is one of my favourite YouTubers. When I saw they were collabing on products I knew I had to purchase something. This palette quickly became my day to day, go to product. There is a great range of shades and textures to choose from. I did write an in depth review of this product here. If you love affordable makeup which has a great pay off, I would seriously recommend trying this beauty out!

The Body Shop 'Vanilla Pumpkin' Shower Gel- I had never purchased anything from The Body Shop prior to 2017. But, during the spooky season of Autumn (which is my favourite) they released this heavenly shower cream. Not only does it smell like biscuits, and have a lasting scent on the body, it also has the best lather I have EVER seen from a shower gel. The smallest pump of product leaves your body glazed in this beautifully scented, silky, paradise. I am using it in small doses until Autumn 2018!



Top 4 Personal Highlights of 2017

Going to America- 2017 gave me the best adventure I'd had in while; a trip to Walt Disney World and California. I got to tick so many dreams off of my bucket list, including an 18 year wait to go to the Happiest Place on Earth, a trip to Griffith Observatory where I lived my James Dean dreams, a visit to the Golden Gate Bridge and a chance to explore the first Disney park in California. I also got to go with wonderful friends, ensuring we all got to see what we wanted (and also get the snazziest of candids). It was a great experience in that I faced some fears, including my most long haul flights to date, being away from family for the longest I've been and adapting to jet lag! I can't wait to see where 2018 allows me to explore.

Getting Buddy- Buddy is my sonflower, mashed puptato baby. I have had a dog in my life since I was a child, but unfortunately, I had a dog shaped hole in my life for almost two years. For me, dogs are a great assistant for anxiety. They are also incredibly cute and allow me to feel like a parent without having to have a child. Whilst Buddy is probably the cheekiest, most plotting puppy I've known, he is also the best boy. I love every single time he greets me in the morning or when I come in from work. I love the shape of his nose and the brown in his eyes. I love the way he jumps on me when he wants to eat his bone, or the way he dives on my lap when he wants to play fetch. I can't wait for him to be one in 2018 so I can give him the best doggie birthday of all time!



New job experiences- One of my 2017 resolutions was to get a job which didn't make my mental health completely obliterate. After far too long in retail, I finally ended up with a job that I suppose has a career path, and have been working with the loveliest team you could probably ever imagine. Whilst I'm on a temporary contract which ends in 2018, I am so thankful for the direction my job route in life took in 2017. Furthermore, 2017 saw me tick another bucket list goal off, as I finally got to work for Disney. Over the Christmas period, I was a Cast Member in my local store. It was amazing, but also hard at times, delivering magic to guests. It's an experience I loved and I would hope to think 2018 could see me going back there.

Tattoo growth- 2017 saw me grow my tattoo collection with three more pieces of art. Whilst I added to what is now my 'Disney leg,' I also got a matching tattoo with one of my favourite people. I also ended up with my most personal one yet- a dotwork mars with lyrics from Another Night on Mars by The Maine. I carry them in my heart at all times, but now I guess I also carry them to my grave! I am already planning more work in 2018, I just need to start saving!

Overall, 2017 was filled with films that added comedic relief to a challenging year (along with one or two films which highlighted why it is such a challenging world to be in), music which was anthemic and filled with come backs and new comers, beauty products which were both affordable and good and personal experiences which make me happy to be alive. I also have to mention the wonderful people who helped shaped my 2017 into something more positive. If you're reading this, thank you.

I hope 2018 can be positive and happy and rewarding for both you reading this and the world we are currently faced with. Thank you, as always for reading this.

See you in my next post.

Aimee :) x

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post