Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

Makeup Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kits: Review

Hello everyone,
I am finally back with my first proper post of 2017 (thanks to a broken laptop, lack of camera cable and a lot of screaming). What better way for me to begin the year than by writing up a review for a new product from my favourite makeup brand, which also happens to be my first beauty purchase of 2017!
I had been seeing the Retro Luxe Matte lipsticks all over Instagram and it was a clear that the hype was massive. I searched my local Superdrug, to which Revolution are exclusive, and found myself being unlucky in purchasing any of them! Everyday, someone new was posting all about how amazing these products were, and thanks to a little searching through the comments on posts, I found that the lipsticks were in fact on the Superdrug site, and given a spending ban I have placed myself on, I picked up only one shade in the range.
Now, it is impossible to deny that one of the biggest beauty crazes of 2016 was the Kylie Lip Kit. YouTubers, bloggers and your next door neighbour were all guilty of owning one. But Kylie Jenner's beauty buys come with quite a hefty price tag, especially for those who opt for international shipping and get faced with a customs charge upon delivery. Makeup Revolution are quite well known for their affordable, drug store dupes of well loved products. From their blushes which dupe Too Faced, to their palettes which are a force to be reckoned with against Urban Decay, Revolution are there for all us girls and guys who want to have great quality products, without the expenses. Given the name of their Retro Matte 'Lip Kits,' it's quite obvious what this product is acting as a dupe for!
As I mentioned, Revolution are my favourite makeup brand, several of their palettes are in my every day routine, along with their highlighters and brushes. But something that seems to have been lacking in their range was great quality lip products (no offence Revolution, I do love you).


SUCH SLEEK PACKAGING!!!!!




The Product:
The Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kits retail at £6, which is amazing as you get a liquid lipstick and a pencil in the box, whereas £6 would just about get you one lipstick from most other brands. There are six shades in the collection, most being nudes with brown or pink undertones, as well as a red, black and brown shade. I purchased 'Glory' a dark chestnut brown, which is so different to anything in my existing lip collection. I never use lip liners, but I decided to use this one, along with the lipstick, just to get an idea of how they work together. The liner is incredibly creamy, which I love, because in the past the thing which has stopped me using liners is just how much they pull at the mouth when applying them. This glided on so well and even though the formula is creamy, it didn't bleed out from my lips. The lipstick is so pigmented, which I think is impressing given how hard it is for most brands, even high end, to get a non patchy formula for darker shades. There is no scent to the lipstick, which I quite like, because there's nothing worse than a super chemically smelling lipstick. I managed to get almost an entire mouth application from one dab into the product, but did add a second coat just for layering. It did take a little while for the lipstick to dry to matte, which is my only negative comment, and the formula felt tacky until that point. I did blot my lips just to speed up the drying process.






First Impressions:
I went out shopping (remember the part where I mentioned I'm on a spending ban? Don't ask how that's going) with my parents for the day. I decided to be brave and not bring the products with me for top up's during the day, just to see how well they survived without help. The first thing I want to say is people will look at you when you're wearing a dark brown lipstick. From elderly ladies, to shop assistants (I'm just gonna assume it's because the shade is so damn pretty). But I also had a group of girls come up to me in New Look asking what lipstick I had on, which made me feel so good and confident and happy in my shade purchase. I used the moment to hype up the products (shoutout to Revolution, hmu for that promo) and felt like the pay off of the product was worth it. I own so many lipsticks, including Kat Von D and Colourpop, and I've never had a stranger compliment me on them!
I then grabbed a sandwich from the M&S Food Hall and that's when the ultimate liquid lipstick test occurred. I looked at how my lips were doing post snack and was delighted to see that little product had faded. I should also mention that I did a little hand kiss test before going out to test the wearing power of the products and I can report that they don't transfer. The only thing I would say, and it's not majorly negative, is that the formula is quite drying, almost like the Anastasia ones, so I would recommend applying a lot of lip balm pre and post wearing the products. Also, I found that post sandwich I had a little rim inside my lips from where product had shifted, so I would say that carrying the product on you if you're going out for food is a good idea.


Verdict:
The lipstick and liner are both highly pigmented. They work just as well as other lip products in my collection, such as the Kat Von D Everlasting Lipsticks, and they come at a fraction of the cost. They are a great example as to how Revolution are really stepping up their game when it comes to their lip products, which is amazing as their other products are all up there in my favourites! I would love to try more shades, but also, I am so hyped for the metallics they are going to be releasing, along with lipglosses, and you can expect me to review at least one of those metallic lip kits upon release! For £6, they are a bargain dupe for Kylie Lip Kits and they are definitely going to give Kylie a run for her money!


This is the first time I've reviewed anything so let me know if you'd like me to write more! Thank you for reading.
Love, Aimee :) xx

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post