Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

Birchbox November 2017 Review

When I saw in my October Birchbox that they would be collaborating with Vogue on their next subscription box, I was pretty darn excited. A list of things buzzed through my mind as to what amazing beauty products I would be receiving in the post. A few days ago, my most recent box arrived and I decided to share my thoughts on it in this post.



Firstly, the packaging is super slick. I love the metallic gold lettering, particularly against the hot pink. With all of the products being featured in the Vogue 100 Beauty Hall of Fame, I was expecting to be highly impressed, however, I am a little bit underwhelmed. Before I get into that further, I want to talk about the products in detail, listing the positives about them.

I am well aware that the Benefit Hoola Bronzer is on everyone and their mother's beauty wishlist and all time favourites lists. I have never wanted to fork out a high amount of money on a product such as bronzer, so I was pretty happy to see it featured. The pan is rather small but given how little bronzer this one lady needs, I think it would last a while and so overall it is a great product to have received. I also am fond of brown eye looks so I think this would be great for doubling up as a base shade on the lid.

Next in the box is the Percy and Reed Volumising No Oil Oil, which is essentially a nourishing product for hair. A selling point for this is that it contains ProVitamin B5 to strengthen the hair, and it also comes with the added touch of being a heat defence. I am one of those people who always strives to look after their hair but is very lazy to maintain a routine, but I am willing to test out this product.

The final sample sized item within this box is a James Reed Overnight Tan Mask for the face. This is also infused with anti ageing skincare ingredients so isn't harsh on the skin. It also has no scent which I think indicates it wouldn't be irritating, even for sensitive skin types.

There are two full sized products within this Birchbox. The first is a Seche Vite Top Coat with an RRP of £9. With top manicurists agreeing that its formula is chip proof and long lasting, it seems a great product to offer as a full size option. Unfortunately, I just got a job which doesn't allow nail polish but I suppose I have toes I could test it on (look at that poetry). The final full sized product is a Birchbox Brush Cleaner which retails at £5 but is exclusive to the November box. As it is textured, it appears as though it would give a thorough clean to any brush. It is also a nice size so would be ideal for travelling with.

Now comes the negatives.



Whilst I think the products are good in that someone will love each of them individually, I don't think they are particularly exciting as one group. I felt slightly underwhelmed with the contents of the box as the products aren't essentially 'me.' I don't fake tan so I won't use the James Reed product, I'm the palest person I know and so probably won't use the Hoola bronzer as a bronzer and I don't think a full sized top coat varnish is the most exciting beauty item on the planet. I think an issue I have with Birchbox, having now had a few subscriptions, is that whilst the concept of getting to test new things at a small cost is fantastic, the products never feel universal. That's not to say these products aren't great, I just don't think that combined they are a seller for me.

I personally have taken the decision to cancel my Birchbox and test out a different beauty subscription service, such as LookFantastic. I do have a 'What I loved from Birchbox' post coming shortly, so don't think I hate it at all. The concept is great and I'm sure others will love these products. There are some things I have received through this subscription that I have added to my daily beauty routine so check Birchbox for yourself here.

See you in my next post

Aimee :) x

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post