Featured Post

First Impressions: Pink Parcel

The American Adventure: Two Year Anniversary

Hello everyone,

So this week marks two years since me, two of my cousins and my cousin's girlfriend embarked on our American Adventure to Boston and New York and I'm going to try in as little words as possible give you a highlight in to what was the craziest week of my life.

So, to start with I should mention that this trip would have been nothing without the Irish Dancing World's. Each year they take place in a different location, for example I believe last year was London and this year is Montreal and in 2013 (gosh I really cannot believe it was that long ago) the World's were held in Boston. As it's been a life goal of mine to visit America for as long as I can remember, and as it tied in to near my 18th birthday, I was lucky enough to tag along.

We flew from Birmingham, to Dublin, to Boston. For someone who hates flying I felt pretty at ease with the long haul journey. I'm pretty sure I watched a load of Disney movies and listened to a lot of music during the flight. When we landed I distinctly remember heading to the Dunkin Donuts kiosk and getting my first taste of America with a Boston Cream Pie. Our taxi driver was hands down one of the loveliest people I've ever met. He gave us a little commentary on places we would pass from the Airport to the hotel, and even had plans to go visit the World's with his wife.

Our hotel was gorgeous. We had an incredible view of the city, a Starbucks on site and a shopping mall connected to the hotel, it was truly glorious.
However, that's when the jet lag kicked in. I've always had issues with sleep. It is the most annoying thing in the world to be an annoying sleeper. I don't like noise when I'm trying to sleep, anything from ticking clocks, people talking outside where I'm sleeping or snoring. Multiply this with a first encounter with jet lag and sadly you'll see me have a meltdown. We were only in Boston for three days and in that time I remember crying in the lobby of my hotel at two am in my Buzz Lightyear Pyjamas because I wanted to talk to my mum (this was also my first time ever away from home which combined with the jetlag literally made me psycho), taking a day out to try and sleep and getting worked up because the people next door insisted on playing Rihanna music on full blast, and having a breakdown to the man at reception. I felt incredibly bad, one because I was ruining the holiday for everyone and two because I wanted to see Boston and enjoy something I had literally waited my entire life for. So I manned up, bought several international call cards which provided me a lifeline to talk with my family and feel less homesick. New York was going to be as brilliant as I wanted it to.

There was a tiny flaw in this plan, when I accidentally left my handbag (including passport, phone, call card, purse, LIFE) in the back of a taxi and considered jumping from the bus station roof. Luckily Bostonians are the BEST people when it comes to customer service and having rang our hotel who made contact with the taxi company, I was reunited and we finally made it to New York, even if we did have to pay for another ticket.
I realise I'm rambling so I will fast forward a little.
We got to New York in the evening. I remember seeing Macy's and making a little noise because IT WAS REAL and we were finally in the city I had always wanted to see in real life. We headed to the Empire State Building and everything felt so surreal. I'm not sure if it was the jetlag or just the shock of being there but for someone who heights hates, standing on top of the tallest building I've ever stood on felt AMAZING.
I don't distinctly remember our day to day plans so I will breakdown some of my highlights:
  • The friendliness of the citizens in both states. Whether it was randomly approaching one of us to compliment an article of clothing, or shop workers questioning our life in England with enthusiasm, everyone we came across were completely welcoming.
  • FENWAY PARK. I've always, always loved Boston Red Sox, and on our last outing in Boston we decided to take a tour of this iconic sports venue, given that we didn't manage to secure tickets to a baseball match.
  • BIG DADDIES. It is singlehandedly the best place I have ever eaten. The interior is iconic images of musicians and film stills from so many decades and the food is unbelievable. I lost my tater tots virginity to Big Daddies and I couldn't be more happy about it. The key lime pie milkshake honestly saved my life and the bacon is the crispiest I HAVE EVER HAD!
  • Natural History Museum. I was blown away by some of the exhibitions here. I love planetariums so incredibly much and I get extremely emotional when I think about the one I went to here. The butterly exhibition, though it was warm as hell, was truly exceptional too.
  • Times Square. I've never known a place that is so alive at night as it is in the day time. The bustle is truly incredible. There is always somewhere to go here. Somewhere to eat or shop or a show to see, it takes my breath away.
  • Broadway. We managed to get tickets to a show called Nice Work If You Can Get It and I honestly wanted to cry when I found out Matthew Broderick was the lead in it. Ferris Bueller is one of my favourite films and experiencing Broadway with an actor as incredible as him was magical.
  • The Rockefeller Centre. I have to say this is my favourite place of all time. The statues surrounding it are beautiful and I am relatively sure James Dean did a photoshoot near there one time and standing where he's stood improved my life worth by at least 70%. The view from Top of the Rock was absolutely stunning and I did not want to leave.
  • The New York Boat tour. I loved this because it's the only boat tour I've ever been on where I haven't felt sea sick. Also, you get to see so much of New York. At the time we went I'm pretty sure there had recently been a disaster meaning we couldn't go to the Statue of Liberty but you truly got to see the wonders of New York. From the history of Brooklyn Bridge to the touching tales of reconstructing the World Trade Centre, it was an amazing experience.
Here's some snaps from my American Adventure. Thanks for reading,
Aimee :) x
NEW YORK: view from Top of the Rock

BOSTON: Columbus Waterfront Park

BOSTON: Fenway Park

NEW YORK: Big Daddies



NEW YORK: Statue of Liberty

 

No comments

Let me know your thoughts on this post